As a community advocate for over 15 years, I have had the pleasure of working with city staff from all departments to ensure that my community’s needs are met. From City Planners and Librarians to Police Officers and Firefighters, I have built an extensive network that will allow me to hit the ground running as your Councilmember. Our City employees are the front line of our city government and are the people most will come in contact with when there is an issue in our communities, so we must continue working to recruit and retain a diverse group of city employees that reflect our communities. Anyone who contacts our city regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation or status deserves the best service possible. I will ensure that the District 9 staff come from the communities that they serve and reflect our rich cultures and diversity. Our zip code or street name should not dictate the quality of service or response times. We deserve the best service from our city and as your Councilmember I will ensure this by:
- Advocate for our Police and Fire Department to be properly paid for their service and sacrifices to our community - there is a broken system and strong leadership is needed to fix it.
- Support measures to offset layoffs and hiring freeze for city staff, these hurt residents by not receiving timely services and programs being cut back.
- Push for an “Equity in Hiring” Action Plan for our city so that our City workforce reflects the rich diversity of our city.
- Focusing on our neighborhood services by investing in increased hours for our libraries, parks, recreation centers, and open spaces; curbside clean ups; graffiti removal; and road and sidewalk repairs.
- Dedicate a member of my staff as a Rapid Response coordinator to ensure that our needs are met and damage done to our community’s public spaces is fixed right away.
- Provide in district office hours so that we can bring city government to you!